Night owls, students, parents, and business owners alike- many of us struggle to get an adequate amount of sleep every night. Did you know that the average adult needs between 7-9 hours of sleep every night? If you’re barely getting 7 hours of undisturbed sleep daily, a slight adjustment to your schedule might be necessary.
1. Sleep equals power. Without enough sleep, your body and brain are in overdrive. You’re not performing at your best, and this can lead to mistakes in your personal and professional life. If you are unable to get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep daily, try to take a midday nap. Ideally, your best sleep is continuous and for over 7 hours.
2. Depriving your body of sleep can lead to severe health problems in the short and long term such as obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes. When you sleep, your body is in “healing mode.” Not getting enough sleep shortens the time your body is actively working to repair the blood vessels and replenish its energy.
3. Ever sit through a lecture or work meeting and have no clue what was said 2 minutes before, much less the day before? You might be suffering from sleep deprivation. Gaps in memory or focus are signs that your brain is functioning at a slower rate than it usually would. When you sleep, your brain goes through a process called consolidation. Essentially, while you are sleeping, your brain is processing information that you have been learning that day. The more you sleep, the easier learning new languages, new subjects, or policies will be!
4. Getting enough sleep will aid in your weight loss goals! That’s right! Studies have shown that your metabolism is affected by a lack of sleep. In fact, individuals who got less sleep lost more muscle mass than individuals who got adequate amounts of sleep. More sleep has been proven to aid in fat loss! Who doesn’t want that!
5. Stress reduction is another benefit of getting the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep per night. Long days accompanied by long nights will put a lot of stress not only on your physical body but also your mind. Think of sleep as your recharge. Without sleep, your body isn’t balanced.
These are just a handful of some of the benefits of ensuring you get an adequate amount of sleep every night.
Quick tip: Having trouble falling asleep? Boil 2 organic bananas with the peel on for 15 minutes in a small pot of water. Drink the liquid 1 hour before bed. The magnesium in combination with the potassium will react in a similar way the sleeping pill does, aiding in getting a good night’s sleep. However, banana tea is natural and avoids introducing your body to foreign chemicals such as the ones found in sleeping pills! Give it a try!