The other day I went to my local CVS to grab a few things and I came across the air freshener aisle. I glanced at the essential oils. Do you know that these essential oils are not essential oils?! They are fragrance oils. And these items come with a plugin diffuser!
Have you noticed that there are more ads on TV for these products? What is sad is; because essential oils are so popular, people are deceived by these so-called essential oils.
It is not surprising that fragrance oils are being promoted so much these days. Fragrance oils are cheaper to produce than quality therapeutic essential oils. There are, of course, some things in common between fragrance oils and therapeutic oils – the primary one being that they both produce aromas! Note: pure essential oils like rose are more expensive because it takes lots of rose petals to produce a high quality oil!
However, there are some things about fragrance oils you should be aware of -especially since they are so popular. Here are some key points to consider when purchasing so-called “natural” essential oils and fragrance oils.
1. They are made with synthetic/artificial ingredients. Read the label.
2. Natural oils can be called “natural” when they contain 10% pure essential oil.
3. Fragrance oils and synthetic essential oils may clog or confuse the receptor sites of cells.
4. Fragrance oils and synthetic essential oils may have a depressing effect on the immune system.
5. Fragrance oils and synthetic essential oils may lead to headaches and stuffiness especially if you have allergies.
6. Fragrance oils and synthetic essential oils may cause dizziness or other side effects.
In contrast, quality therapeutic essential oils usually are organic or 100% pure.. These essential oils may help support wellness.
There is a big difference between fragrance grade oils and therapeutic grade or pure essential oils. And this difference is worth pointing out since fragrance oils are being promoted so much these days. It’s easy to assume if something smells good or has “essential oils” in its name that it must be quality stuff. But this is often not the case. So, be aware of what you’re buying.
To your health and happiness,
PS Look for my segment where I compared several essential oil companies.
One thought on “Essential Oils Vs. Fragrance Oils”