Hey there! Happy Holidays!
Let’s talk about something no one really likes talking about: Body type.
Almost all of us have a distorted image of our body, often due to the importance our culture places on outward
appearance and the onslaught of media images of airbrushed models and celebrities. On a daily basis, we talk
to ourselves in ways we would never speak to another. Imagine speaking to a child the way you speak to
yourself about your body. It would devastate and squelch a child. It affects you similarly, causing stress and
emotional pain in your body, which can make improving your health or losing weight even more difficult.
Think of all the intelligence, creativity and time you spend on improving, altering and judging your appearance. Who would you be and what could you accomplish if your valuable resources weren’t used this way? Constant emphasis on the
external makes us discount the great presence and intelligence that is housed by the body. It makes us forget the
magic of our internal rhythms and fail to acknowledge the beautiful bodies we have.
The body you have right now is incredible! It never misses a heartbeat, it maintains homeostasis and it miraculously
digests whatever you put in it. It is your instrument for expressing your creativity, intelligence and love. By focusing
on the 1% you don’t like or wish were different, you may be ignoring the remaining 99% about your body that is
beautiful, unique and delightful.
What would your life be like if you were simply at peace with the body you have? You may wish to make your body healthier and stronger, but could you do that outof love and respect for your body instead of the opposite? Could you begin to treat yourself with kindness, to limit the negative self-talk and to reconnect with your inner wisdom? Take a minute to imagine what that would feel like. It would mean celebrating your body rather than punishing it. It would mean nourishing
your body rather than depriving it. It would mean a chance to watch your body flourish when treated with care and respect.
Food Focus: Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are on everyone’s mind this season. They seem to go hand in hand with the holidays, and fortunately, eating these and other sweet vegetables don’t need to be limited to this time of year. Cravings for sweets can be greatly reduced by adding sweet vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, yams, parsnips, beets, squash, turnips and rutabagas to your daily diet. Sweet potatoes elevate blood sugar gently rather than with the jolt delivered by simple refined carbohydrates, so
there’s no energy crash after you eat them. Much higher in nutrients than white potatoes and especially rich in vitamin A, sweet potatoes offer a creamy consistency that is satisfying and soothing. They are healing to the stomach, spleen, pancreas and reproductive organs and help to remove toxins from the body.
If you don’t have any sweet potatoes in your kitchen, go out and buy some (organic and local if possible) and make the recipe below.
Recipe of the Month
This recipe is an eye-opener for those who find sweet potatoes cloyingly sweet or those who are tired of eating
them smothered in marshmallows and brown sugar. Japanese sweet potatoes, with their pale flesh and delicate
flavor, are a treat if you can find them.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
4 sweet potatoes
rosemary or parsley
olive oil or avocado oil, salt (optional)
- Wash the sweet potatoes and bake them whole, in their skins, at 375 degrees until tender, about 40
- Pour rosemary or parsley spice or fresh rosemary or parsley
- When sweet potatoes are done, slit open the skin and place on serving plate. Season with salt and dots of
butter or a sprinkle of oil, if you like, then squeeze fresh lime juice all over, and shower with cilantro leaves.
#sweetpotatoes #recipes #December