Turmeric is the spice that gives curry its yellow color. It has been used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb.
Turmeric contains compounds called curcuminoids. The most important compound is curcumin. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a strong antioxidant.
Benefits of Turmeric
1. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory compound. Note: Chronic inflammation is known to be a contributor to many common Western diseases and aging.
2. Turmeric has powerful antioxidant effects. It neutralizes free radicals – oxidative damage, on its own, then stimulates the body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
3. Turmeric may be beneficial for brain health. It boost levels of a brain hormone, BDNF, which increases the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in the brain.
4. Turmeric may help prevent cancer.
5. Turmeric may be helpful in preventing Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Turmeric may be beneficial to Arthritis patients due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Simple Turmeric Elixir
Optional: banana, greens
Squeeze 1/2 of a lemon into a mug.
Add Turmeric and warm water.
Add honey, if desired.
Give these recipes a try and comment below with your thoughts.