So, do you know what your body type (constitution) is? You may have heard about it from a friend who is a yoga instructor or from someone who studies Ayurveda.
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is the science of life. It is a lifestyle-based guide for creating and maintaining health in your body, mind and spirit. It was created nearly 5,000 years ago and is practiced all over the world. While I attended the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, I was able to learn from Dr. John Douillard about the Principles of Ayurveda. In fact, Ayurveda and Yoga go hand-in-hand, which you probably know.
In Ayurveda, you discover your constitution – which is a combination of vata, pitta, and kapha. Once you learn what your constitution or body type is, you can practice a lifestyle designed to balance those properties and bring harmony to your being.
Ayurveda is about creating health – prevention of disease rather than treating disease. It always looks at the body as a whole and at the connection between the mind and body when addressing health. To find out what your body’s constitution is, click the links below:
Ayurveda is a holistic and inspiring view of health care that teaches you to view your mind and body with respect. Learn more and make choices to bring about your best state of health!
In Health and Happiness,
Have you heard of oil pulling? Perhaps you’ve heard a friend briefly discuss their success with oil pulling but you’re unsure about where to start? Read on for successful tips to oil pulling and the benefits behind this toxicity cleanser!
First of all, what is oil pulling and what kind of oil do you use? Oil pulling originates from ancient Ayurvedic medicine in which you detoxify your teeth and gums by swishing around unrefined coconut oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes. Along with the detoxification of your gums and teeth, oil pulling assists in teeth whitening, and reversing cavities and tooth decay! The process is simple and can be done before brushing your teeth, at night or in the morning!
1. Head to your local health food store and pick up a container of unrefined coconut oil!
2. Put 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in your mouth.
3. Swish for 20 minutes. The key is to keep the oil in your mouth long enough that the toxins don’t reabsorb into your gums, yet it still needs to be able to break through the plaque and tooth decay accumulated throughout the day.
4. Do not swallow the oil. The toxins released from your teeth and gums should never be ingested. After all, you’re cleansing your mouth- it’s best to dispose of the oil in your mouth in a trash can. Oil can coagulate in the pipes and cause drainage issues if you spit in the sink.
5. Brush your teeth with an anti-bacterial and fluoride-free toothpaste! If you are out of your natural toothpaste, you can mix baking soda with water and brush in a circular motion.
Oil pulling is a basic concept but reaps great results! Several emerging studies have shown oil pulling is responsible for the complete reversal of tooth decay and cavities, as well as eliminating excessive plaque and helping to cure gingivitis! If you are pregnant, nursing, or have dental issues, consult with your physician prior to oil pulling, as a precautionary step!
Stay tuned. I am creating a 21-Day Ayurvedic Detox. It will include one of my mentors, Dr. John Douillard’s, Author of the Three Season Diet, protocol.