This incredible vegan almond butter caramel bars with a yummy, crunchy chocolate cookie base with walnuts in the middle. These bars are naturally sweetened, gluten-free, and dairy free. An awesome, guilt-free snack!!
For the cookie base:
1 ¼ cup packed super fine blanched almond flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
¼ cup raw cacao powder
3 tablespoons melted and cooled unrefined coconut oil
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (I used Trader Joes)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
For the almond butter layer or caramel layer:
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
For the chocolate topping:
- 3/4 cup chocolate bars (I used chocolate bars with 75 to 80% cacao.)
- 1/2 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8″ x 8″ square pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl add almond flour, cacao powder, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix together with a fork until it forms a nice and thick crumb texture. Add to the pan and if needed, use your fingers to evenly press down mixture into the pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow the crust to cool for 10 minutes before adding caramel.
- Sprinkle the crust evenly with the walnuts.
- To make the almond butter caramel layer: In a small pot, add the almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract and sea salt and place over low to medium heat for approximately 2 minutes until caramel starts to just slightly bubble, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and pour caramel over the walnuts and crust.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until the almond butter mixture is completely hardened.
- After 30 minutes, make the chocolate layer: Melt chocolate squares and coconut oil either in a small pot on the stove using low heat or microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring constantly until chocolate is completely melted.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer; tilt the pan side-to-side so the chocolate is evenly distributed. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour until chocolate is hardened and bars are completely cooled.
- Remove bars from the pan and cut into 16 bars (so they look like twix bars). Note: I cut the entire pan of bars in half, then cut those in half and so on so the bars are even.
- Bars should be kept covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
Let me know your thoughts below!
#vegan #recipes #glutenfree #dairyfree #healthysnacks