This is my sugar story.
You probably know what it feels like to have a sugar crash?!
I’ve had my fair share of them. When I used to work my 8 to 5 job, right around 3 pm I would almost fall asleep at my desk! Not a good thing – I used to worry that one of our executive managers would walk into our suite and see me knodding off at my desk! It was difficult to stay awake while entering invoices and/or tenant checks into the computer. So, what did I do to get my energy back? Walk down five flights of stairs to the sundry store to buy either a snickers or KitKat bar! That was my daily routine. And when I look back, my diet wasn’t very healthy…it was loaded with carbs, dairy products, and meat!
Still to this day, I still love my sweets and it is my biggest weakness. My solution now is to eat either a fruit or a healthy snack…no refined sugars. Or to satisfy my sugar fix, I would eat some type of raw dessert.
Funny, I didn’t have a problem giving up dairy products and red meat. I didn’t eat a lot of sugar; meaning I didn’t typically eat items like cake, chocolate, candy, ice cream, etc, however, I loved white chocolate macadamia nut cookies and sometimes, I had a weakness for Nothing Bundt Cakes.
Because I’ve had acid reflux on and off, I noticed I was consuming too much sugar and was becoming inflammed. I regularly checked my pH level to determine whether my body was too acidic. Note: Eating sugar especially refined sugar causes inflammation and acid.
It is a good idea to do a sugar detox every season. This past Winter I took part in a 21-Day Sugar Detox. I did it…completed it, and I found that after I finished my detox, I did not want sugar.
20 Ways Sugar Can Affect Your Health
1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.
2. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
3. Sugar can weaken eyesight.
4. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
5. Sugar can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline levels in children.
6. Sugar contributes to obesity.
7. Sugar can cause arthritis.
8. Sugar can cause heart disease and emphysema.
9. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis
10. Sugar can increase cholesterol.
11. Sugar can lead to both prostate and ovarian cancers.
12. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
13. Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
14 Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
15. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
16. Sugar can increase the body’s fluid retention.
17. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.
18. Sugar can cause depression.
19. Sugar can contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.
20. Sugar is more addictive than cocaine.